Tuesday, January 5, 2010

New Years Post (And Blog Anniversary)

Wow.  I've had this blog for a year!  That's special.  And obsessively dedicated.

I guess I need to do some blog/new years resolutions - it's about time, I think, since I forgot the first two days of 2010, so I decided to put it off till my anniversary.  I hardly remember this time last year, starting a blog because of Kori and NaNo WriMo (yes, I couldn't decide which link to put, so it's split down the middle ;) hehe).

New Years Resolutions For Me And Blog

  1. Blog: post weekly, 300 words or more.
  2. Me: study more, and stop procrastinating
  3. Blog: change complete or make small but large changes to the design
  4. Me: possibly try out a new haircut this summer (like straight across bangs compared to the side ones I have now)


  5. Blog: excerpts, at least every third week.
  6. Me: finish editing Empyrean.
Empyrean sounds hard, but I have a year, right?  And I'm nothing if not stubborn ;)

This time last year, I was writing Empyrean.  If you want, you can go back to my first post ever and read the first page of Empyrean, which has changed oh so much after all the edits :)

I really didn't think anyone could read this thing (and no duh, the design was horrendous!) but now, I have a few amazing people who are :)  Thank-you, sincerely. 


On another note, here is the first page of the oneshot I've been working on...


     I was back. In so many ways, this could have been different.  But looking out on the across the train station, I couldn’t think of it another way.  Here I was, home at last with the horrors behind me – horrors I had brought upon myself, but never regretted.

     I saw families greeting, the cry of mothers meeting sons and parted sisters reuniting; the sound of people, once children and now young adults finding their way home.

     My home was different now.  I couldn’t deny that.  When I had gone, fighting through not only warfare but also a personal, family crisis that had taken place in my leave, things had changed.  

     Some change is not for the better.  Our world is fragile, and it only needs the slightest problem to turn it upside down.   That is war.  Thousands of people die, willingly and unwillingly, knowing and unknowingly, they are dead.  Then the war ends, and life may return to normal.  

     It will never, ever be the same after that.

     Family troubles may seem smaller – which they are – but they are just as effective in the chaos that ensues.  They touch fewer people, but hurt the same.  

     I may never forget what I have seen the war, and I may never recover from the wounds that brought me home, but I will have to live with the injury and those memories for the rest of my life.I will do the same with my father. 

     Memories of my father will never pass, never fade, and never leave my mind.  They are with me and will be for the rest of my life, like many other experiences I have.

     I will never forget the last letter he sent, joking about our favourite team loosing because I wasn’t there to see the games and ending on the sincere and caring note that I should come home safely and soon.

     I am here soon, Dad, but not soon enough.

Listen up for more to come :)


S a r a h

3 comments:

Devon said...

lol, you still got my support on Empyrean. Looks like its turning out nicely
been trying to get some writing done lately but it gets so frustrating...can't get past a page before I delete the entire thing..argh

Rochelle Blue said...

Happy Bloggy birthday! I'm looking forward to the upcoming excerpts! ^^
and you definitely have my support with Emyprean!

Roch

Sarah said...

Aww, thanks! Keep writing :D

And thanks Rochelle. It might take a while because I have this geography project + picking out my next year subjects.... spanish or food and nutrition (or gym?!) :S hehe.