Saturday, August 28, 2010

Heist Society Book Review

Heist SocietyImage via Wikipedia
Heist Society, by Ally Carter, is a book about Katarina Bishop, the daughter of a thief, the granddaughter of the greatest crook ever, and a girl smack in the middle of an entire family of "crooked business".  The cover of this book is beautiful (I'm a bangs girl, I love her bangs!) and the look of the pages and setup (it counts down until the deadline on clock-backgrounded pages) makes the book nice too :)

In the first chapter, it almost seems like Heist Society is part of a series, not a stand-alone story.
However, it's easy to understand and the lack of background doesn't really effect the overall plot line.  There's a mystery boy who gets her expelled from a posh boarding school that Kat knows, but isn't really sure how she stands with.  Turns out she'd chosen to leave the "heisting" part of her family behind, and some of them have accepted that she's gone.  It made me sad to read about her family not knowing whether to trust her or not, but the novel is fairly upbeat.

Heist Society is fast-paced, cute, and compelling - her world is so different than ours, even though it's the same place, and the detail to heists is something I could never imagine in my own stories.  Also, her friends are unique, interesting characters (although there IS a girly-girl, who I hated at the beginning, but eventually began to like.  The author's intent, maybe?)  I would have liked to read more on the backgrounds of each character (like the super-genius from LA) but for a lot of people, that would take away from the fast pace of the novel.  Oh, and the places!  I want to go to the places she goes to, namely Europe.  'Cept I don't want to rob them :)

In short, I would rate this book an 8.5/10. (Grammar question, if you have a number that starts with a vowel, do you write "an"?)  Plus, the cover is cool, don't you agree?  I like the glasses.

S a r a h

P.S. my writing is horribly awkward in this review, but I've been putting it off for a while and I owe it to you guys to post something :)

4 comments:

Golden Eagle said...

It sounds like a really good book! Great review. :)

I don't really know if it's "a" or "an". I don't think I've ever seen "an 1" but "a 8" doesn't sound right either.

Rochelle Blue said...

I actually got this book from the library, but I didn't start it for some reason... I might give it another try though :)

All right!! I'm also a bangs girl! *high five*

Sarah said...

Go bangs!

I hope you like the book, I liked it -- & I hate reccomending things people end up not liking :P

Libraries are awesome... I've read almost every kids/teen book in the library, but recently discovered a new shelf of hardback teen books! :D that's super exciting for nerds like me :P

Sarah said...

@ the Golden Eagle

Thanks! For some reason my reply got cut off, but thanks, and someday, somehow, I WILL find out about a/an and numbers, if anyone's ever bothered to figure a rule out, that is :P hehe