Saturday, September 19, 2009

Homework: Geography of Canada

For homework this weekend I have 2 different maps of Canada due: one of the cities, provinces and such, and the other of the rivers, mountains and lakes. Both need to be coloured.

Do you know how hard it is to colour all the tiny, minuscule islands in Nunavut and the North West Territories?


There's Canada.  It's annoying to colour - I envy people who don't have to colour maps of their country or the tiny islands.  But I still like Canada - I mean, it's only us who come up with names like Moosejaw, Great Bear Lake  and Churchill (which my friend illustrated on a map with a hill and a church).

Plus, as a random connected fact, there's an island called "Devon Island", which looks like a whale and was really hard to find - but here it is:



See if you can find that on the main map!  It's WAY up there - like, no one lives there and there's an ice research facility and all.  Plus it can get down to -50 degrees Celsius in the winter.  Devon Island also probably doesn't see daylight for a month or two during the winter because of the earth's rotation.

So, fun geography lesson?

I've also been editing a little, and I read a really good book: Wild Roses by Deb Caletti.  Well, I think it's pretty good - sorta girly, but still good.  I have a craving for guns though - solid, strong action movies.  Like Gamer.  Has anyone seen that?  I really want to!

Hope you all have had a good week!

S a r a h


4 comments:

Devon said...

Devon Island, huh? figures that it looks like a whale..why can't I get one of a smiley face or something XD
Pretty cool though, though i can't see myself living there...-50, ugh! I can barely stand going outside in 40 degree (Fahrenheit) weather!

As far as geography goes, I had to memorize the locations of all 50 U.S states and their capitals to pass 5th grade..THAT was a nightmare lol

Sarah said...

Wow, 50? I thought there was 51... lol :P I just had to memorize the 13 and their capitals... MUCH easier, lol.

Devon said...

lol, yeah. Porto Rico keeps trying to become a state, but if you don't live in a state you don't have to pay taxes so...

Sarah said...

Wow.. that's cool. I went on a cruise once and heard that Maine wanted to split. It's weird.. no provinces ever do :S