Saturday, May 2, 2009

Inspiration Comes At Night

Whoa, major inspiration burst. I've been writing for the past half hour. I got this idea because it's one of my bestest (boyfriendest) friend's birthday tomorrow and I wanted to include him in my story. But obviously, the character this "boy" turned out to be is nothing like the amazing one I stole the name from. I can't even use the excuse that it's the "thought that counts" - I'll just have to try again.

Meanwhile, I may be renaming his character... you can read the excerpt below and give me an idea for a name - if you want, (or just read it, lol).

(Of course, I'm only changing the name if the person doesn't want to keep it, it's his suckish "present"), so get your thinking caps on for new name.. maybe (and I'm getting the naming after a person vibe.. - although Obama isn't really a good name for this guy... just read the excerpt to understand why).

Note: This is still in the mountain, with the chairlift and the Trainees trying to kill him. And Cameron is nothing like the real one.

Invincible page 19-22

Shivering, I crawled out of the water and lay on my back, watching the sun set over the picturesque hills. A few moments of rest in the dead silence of the forest was exactly what I needed.


Peacefully, I watched the orange and glowing sun flicker under the foggy horizon. Pinks and violets scattered across the sky and the forest seemed to be in awe of the beauty; dead, comfortably silent. My eyes flickered closed as the soft coo of a woodland bird said goodnight to the world.

“Ha! I got you know,” My eyes jolted open and I tried to spring up, but something, or someone sprung on me first.

It was the idiotic kid again. He was starting to get on my nerves.

“Get off me” I said, but added “before I hurt you” in case he didn’t get the point.

He just laughed. “You can run… but I know these mountains better than the birds.” The kid made some weird imitation of a bird and flapped his arms apishly. But he jumped off of me.

I stood up, turning around.

“You stole my bike and trashed it in the lake.” He said. “There are these guys with mega-big guns looking for you.” He paused, then stuck out his hand, as if having men with guns chasing me made me worthy of his friendship - or animosity. “I’m Cameron Dwellers, pleased to make your acquaintance…” Cameron trailed off, waiting for me to supply my name. When I didn’t, he added on “mysterious mobster of some kind and sort.”

I smiled. Now that, was a good name. MMOSKAS… Moskas. Maybe I’d use that in the future, but for now, I had some insane kid to deal with.

A hand waved in front of my face. “Okay, I get it that you’re mute, but deaf too? You’re one screwed kid.”

I turned to face him, giving him my best, steely, I-don’t-need-you-but-you’re-not-worth-killing look. “Look here, Cammie. I don’t need your help. You’re all-so-precious bike is in some weed pile in the lake. Go get it yourself.” I turned to leave.

“What if I get shot. Killed. Heartbroken, my parents and girlfriend will be. And I’ll be there, dead, lying in a pool of my own blood, a bullet lodged in my heart as it beats it’s final tick…” He hopped in front of me, “would you care that you caused some poor mountain boy to die?”

“I’ve killed before.” I said, trying to sound tough. The truth was, I wasn’t really that uncaring and cold. My heart seemed bigger than most people I’d met - even if almost all of those were training or being-trained professional killers.

“So I guess you’ll be in charge of Cameron Dwellers death. Care to add that to the list?”

“Sure, my pleasure.” I said snarkily. Let me get away, I prayed, please, let me get away. It was moments like these I wished I believed in God.

“Oh,” Cameron took a deep breath and I walked away, thinking this was over and ‘God’ had completed my request. It left a good feeling inside me.

“OH, GUN MEN! GORGEOUS BIG BOYS WITH EVEN BIGGER GUNS! THERE’S A TASTY, JUICY BOY JUST WA-”

What the?

I lunged at Cameron, dragging him under the cover of a low tree with my hand clamped over his mouth.

“What the hell are you doing?” I growled, pinning him against the trunk of the tree. “Do you want to die?”

He just smirked at me. “I’ve heard a bullet to the head it a good way to go. Pretty graphic, feeling the life slip away and your body slowly shut down..”

I shook my head. “Look, the graphic stuff doesn’t scare me any more than heights do.”

“I know something that does,” Cameron smirked, taking another deep breath and getting ready to yell. I shoved his own hand in his mouth instead of getting spit all over mine this time.

Cameron smirked again. Oh, crap, I thought, he knows. And I was right, Cameron had found my weakness.

* * *

“Can I have a piggy-back ride?” Cameron whined.

“No.” My voice sounded just as tired as those all those parents in candy stores, telling their kids one more time that they just couldn’t have the purple candy cane.

Cameron’s voice was just like the purple-candy-cane-loving kids’.

“But if I don’t, I might just get,” he took a breath and I stared at him daringly. He didn’t yell, luckily for him, just started to raise his voice. “Sooo tired I will have to scream!”

I stared at him disbelievingly. Me and him, we’d reached a sort of agreement. For the past half hour we’d been walking as far away from each other as possible but still seeming ‘together’. He knew that if he screamed, I’d beat him up. I knew that if I beat him up, he’d scream.

“My mom’s a doctor.” Cameron said, wordlessly saying how he may not die if I left him here, broken bones in countless different places.

“And I’m a trained professional.”

“Yeah.. what are you, exactly?” I remained silent, as if I hadn’t heard anything. “I might be inclined to yell…”

I turned around. “Look, are you going to follow me around everywhere, or do I have do to something first?” I asked angrily.

“You know that girl, the one you were with on the bus here?”

My eyes widened, “yes,”

“She called herself Wings, right?”

I nodded.

“I need her. I’m her boyfriend and she’s been on the run for two years.”

No wonder she had to much experience. Once again, I’d underestimated the people around me.

“I need you to go get her - kidnap her if you have to, she won’t come willingly - and bring her back to my house. It’s 55 Deerlove Crescent. If you do that, I won’t come after you as well.”

I snorted before I could stop myself. “What makes you think you could follow me?”

“Oh, I don’t know.. I’ve been following her around for over seven hundred days, in three different countries. I just might have experience.”

I dunno why I got this random inspiration, but the only other times I've had something like this is at night.

But since it's an hour after my "bedtime" I have to go to sleep soon. I'll just explain the rest of my idea here, and finish off in the morning - genius eh?

Ok, so Cameron isn't really Wing's boyfriend.. actually, he's a dude her father (the one who's a mad scientist and will eventually bring her back to life for the cost of slapping a pair of wings on her back) hired to bring her back. She's been on the run for five years, all starting because she didn't want the wings.

And, well.. this is already a long post, so toodeloos, and I'll write and post more tomorrow (well, usually if someone comments. I feel funny to have an uncommented post, so I try to leave it on until I know for sure at least one person has read it).

Writerly,
S a r a h

6 comments:

Devon said...

Ugh, sorry, busy weekend hehe. Nice post...you took the "wings" thing from Maximum Ride?

Sarah said...

NP.. my weekend SHOULD have been busy(-er) but I'm lazy, lol.

And yeah, I did steal the wings from Maximum Ride.. but it just kinda popped into my mind and I couldn't let the idea go.

Rochelle Blue said...

nice excerpt! I found it really fun. =) how old is cameron supposed to be?
ha I also get those random bursts of inspiration! do you tend to find writing a lot easier when it rains?
I know the feeling of having one of your posts uncommented. it is sort of a funny feeling, like you need to have at least one comment before you can move on to another post.
anyways, again nice excerpt and I'm starting to begin my story blog, so I hope you'll enjoy that! =)

Sarah said...

I never really thought about his age.. maybe 14 I guess.

And I've never tried writing in the rain.. just at night. But hey, next time I'll try :P

Ohh.. goodluck in your story blog! Thx :)

Nat said...

How is Cameron her dad if he's only a kid? ( asking for piggy back rides :P)Just wondering. Anyways just remembr what i told you in my email, it doens't have to be like the real Cam. As long as the writer.... you already know this why repeat it. Great writing once again. I hope this all comes together soon so i can read it!

Sarah said...

Cam isn't her dad! He's been hired by her dad ((M/D)r. Barclay, I think) to get her back...

And yeah, but I think I might just change the name (add him in later, when he's not portrayed as an annoying brat).