Friday, December 25, 2009

Merry Christmas!


Merry Christmas (to those who celebrate) and happy holidays...

I hope everyone is enjoying the break from school and time at home :) I know I have!

For Christmas (which was this morning, a few minutes ago) I got AMAZING stuff!  There was everything I wanted and more, and it was a nice day and (amazingly) the cat and dog behaved - even if they were close together and wearing hideous collars (Garfield) and scary things that he had to sniff (Odie).
First of all, I got a book called the Maze Runner (left) and Wings, (above right with butterfly-thing).
I'm really excited to read these, and I'll tell you how it goes.  Also, I got Lindor chocolate (heaven on earth!) English Toffee (picture below the Maze Runner) which is amazing and we get it from Purdy's, an amazing chocolate store up here, and a calender called "Flower Spirits" (picture of the sorta-see through calender) which is beautiful!


So, as you can see it has been a great holiday!  I even managed to edit Empyrean, which I really want to do.  I did one page, and it took about an hour.  Weird.


Anyways, here it is:




EMPYREAN Chapter 1: No Way Out

Fire.  Fire surrounded me like a lion, raging on all sides and pacing calmly as he watched his unmoving prey.  This had been a mistake; a cruel trick played on the wrong person but now it was happening to me and it was happening all too soon. 
 The smoke rose above me, hugging the low ceiling in a thick, foul-smelling curtain.  Even if I stood, I wasn’t tall enough to reach that height.  It was in my best interest to crouch, low to the ground, confined by the white-hot flames and shouldering embers that crept in from all sides.
 I could feel the heat sinking through the soles of my scruffy shoes, slowly melting the soft plastic as the heat seared my ankles and arms.  My knees protected my face, but my eyes stayed open as they watched a drop of plastic slide down my shoe.  It dripped onto the floor like an ice cream cone in the sun, but far less delicious.  
 This was not delicious at all.  My mouth was dry and tasted of smoke and ash. The air around me was so thick with fumes from the fire that I could hardly breathe.  I knew I was going to die here, alone in an abandoned, burning building.  There was nothing I could do to stop it.

Merry Christmas!  :) <3

S a r a h

P.S Appreciate the pictures.  They took forever!

7 comments:

Rochelle Blue said...

Merry Christmas Sarah!
oh my gosh, I'm reading The Maze Runner at the moment! it really is a great book :)! you will have to let me know how Wings is!
I don't have time to read Empyrean right now (since I'm headed off to a movie) but I definitely will read it sometime this weekend!

Happy Holidays
Roch

Sarah said...

Cool! How do you like The Maze Runner? It seems pretty good so far (page 153) but mysteries are hard to read for me :P

Happy Holidays!

Rochelle Blue said...

I like it.. well so far =) I haven't finished it yet because I'm reading two other books (The Diary of Anne Frank and Flipped) but I will eventually have time to finish it!
read Empyrean... soo good Sarah! I don't think I can't wait for the next excerpt!

Kendra Logan said...

I'm glad you had a good Christmas!

~Kendra

à la vanille said...

Hey, there.
Just checking out blogs from nanowrimo.

Nice excerpt. Though the Merry Christmas after it made me laugh 'cause here someone is about to die and then all of a sudden Merry Christmas! lol.

Good luck w/ your editing.

Devon said...

Glad that someone had a good Christmas. Mine was...less fun. Here's a rundown:
20 inches of snow + 12 hours of freezing rain=
no electricity, no water, no internet, no phone line,and trees cracking under the weight of 20 inches worth of ice every 10 seconds...you'd walk outside and it sounded like you were in a war zone with the trees cracking all around. And it was COLD.Didn't get internet back until around an hour ago..still no water =(

On another note, the writing looks really, really good. keep at it!

Sarah said...

Starting off on a random note.... I just broke a nail! *le gasp*

ANYWAYS. Thanks for checking out my blog a la vanille :) I'll check yours too, after I finish avoiding blogger.

Hope you had a good Christmas too, Kendra!!

And as for avoiding blogger... not sure why I'm doing it. I have a (bad) post lined up too, but I'm avoiding many things (msn, facebook, blogger).. but not Sims, which I am addicted to again :D

Devon: I was SO shocked hearing about your Christmas! The trees sound sorta cool (that happened once here, but a LONG time ago and not as bad, I'm guessing) And I would die without power/internet/water... I drink 10 glasses of water a day (seriously, every time I'm at my computer.. like, now)

Trees of warefare... that's pretty interesting, actually. Poor trees though.. in the spring they'll look so... ambushed (ok, so I'm out of words at the moment... but I remember how all the trees looked so sad in the spring)

Actually, I wrote a oneshot about a girl coming back from war and her father died when she was away. Sadly, it might be another attempt for the library's writing contest, again. (which that girl one, the one who doesn't write and hasn't obsessed over writing half as much as I do.. how unfair!)

Anyways, this is the end of the super-long post. I'm almost finished my chocolate.... ahhh! I've forgotten how to live without the unhealthy stuff -- though according to my doctor, I need more.. which is great :D