Thursday, December 23, 2010

Books In Real Life

copywrites on this one go to me -
but who would want to steal this
lovely blurryness anyways?
Do you recognize this?  Probably not.  It's a sculpture in Yorkdale Mall - somewhere that is busy, but not known world-wide.  I walked through it on my way to the subway, which took me to the ROM.

Yet, I had to stop like a tourist and take a picture.  I bet lots of people thought I was crazy.  Why did I take this picture?  It's a book come to life.


I don't know how many people have read Scott Westerfeld's Leviathan (if you haven't you need to, because it's great) but I have, and I absolutely love the book.  Scott Westerfeld is reaching the top of my favourite author list fast.  His books are a lot like Mortal Engines, if you've read that one, and a better version of Keys to the Kingdom.. maybe even a bit like Inkspell or a more sci-fi Shiver.



Leviathan (Westerfeld novel)Image via Wikipedia
Anyways, it can be compared to a lot of books I like, but that's not why I like it.  Leviathan is about an alternate world's version of WW1.  In this version of WW1, DNA altering and walking machines have been discovered, and they are ripping the world apart.  On one side of the war (Triple Entente) there are Darwinists, who stand strong with their cross-bred animals and science.  On the other side (Triple Alliance) Austria-Hungary, Germany and et cetera use their highly advanced, walking machines to attack everything.  The book is about the heir to the Austria-Hungary throne and a young pilot for Britian.  Although the characters are young, they mature greatly over the span of the first novel, and I can only guess they will do the same in the second - Behemoth.

I wrote a book report on it last year, so if you want to read it click here.

Otherwise, have you ever seen a part of one of your favorite books in real life?  (If you say the meadow from Twilight, you're disqualified!)

S a r a h


No comments: