Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Coincidences!

Isn't it a coincidence that I chose to do my French project on Iceland food...

and now Iceland is ALL OVER the news because of the volcano?

it isn't every day Iceland makes the news

or a volcano explodes.

Like the massive one.

But hey, my project happened first!  And, I may say, it is VERY good.  Like, just look at this (yes, look, no read, you will be scared of the French!)


Harðfiskur (Poisson d’Atlantique) 
– Un plat très traditionnel au l’Islande. L’églefin, la plie, ou le flétan sont frais et a pris en la cote d’Islande. Le poisson est séché à l’air et servi avec deux tranches des pains des seigles et le beurre des herbes. Le plat est servi en un « trog » (un plat de bois). 

Rúllupysla (Saucisse de Mouton) 
– La saucisse succulente, fait avec du mouton libre icelandais. Les végétales fraises sont rôties en le gril, comme les pommes de terre, le navet, et le rutabaga qu’est trouve dans les districts fermiers d’Islande. Le plat est (SMOTHERED) en la sauce « Mysa », qu’est une spécialité de notre restaurant! Comme a cote, la soupe a poix casses est un bonne hors d’ouvre et est compris de cet mets. 

Casserole 
– Un plat délicieux avec notre « Skyr » sauce spécialité. La casserole est servie avec les crevettes, de l’asperge, des champignons et l’épice du paprika. « Laufabrauð », mot à mot « le pain de feuille », un pain traditionnel que est frit en l’huile des végétale. 

Crêpes à la Gâteau – Les crêpes islandais, cuit par notre bonne chefs, empilent avec la confiture des les fruites varie. Le gâteau a le diamètre de vingt centimètres et est un bon dessert pour deux personnes après un bon dîner à « Veitingahús af Katrîn »! 

Yes, the restaurant is called "Veitingahús af Katrîn" -- icelandic translator to "Restaurant Of Katherine".  Cool, eh?

Another thing cool about Iceland is how they name their kids.

I'll explain.

John Jack Camsson marries Katrin Anne Jacksdottir.  They have two kids, a boy an a girl named Kellie and Jane.  Kellie is a cute boys name!  The boy could be called Kellie Jacksson or Kellie Katrinsson - whichever the couple liked more!  And, they could even have the middle names, so it could be Kellie Jacksson too!  And then Jane, the daughter, could be Jane Johnsdottir, Jane Jacksdottir, Jane Katrinsdottir, Jane Annesdottir.

So, a family tree would go like this:
John Jack Camsson + Katrin Anne Jacksdottir
Kellie Katrinsson             Jane Johnsdottir + Ben Quinsson
                                                    Annie Bensdottir

ETC.

That's why, when Icelandic people travel abroad, they often run into confusing things with airports, as clerks and security people don't undestand the way of naming.

I think it's totally cool.  I like it a lot more than just carrying your fathers name.  This is so much more personal!

S a r a h

P.S. I've decided to write more short stories :)  Now, all I need is inspiration.

6 comments:

Golden Eagle said...

That is an interesting way of naming people . . . (BTW, be glad you can't read my Chinese or you'd run away terrified :P)

Devon said...

Hey, I'm already scared of the french- and for the record, its not french fries, its freedom fries!

Honestly, I can't believe the U.S is so self-centered that people actually started calling french fries Freedom Fried- its shameful.

The Icelandic thing is pretty cool. My mother kept her maiden name, co I can either go as Devon W. or Devon G. That's about it though.

Rochelle Blue said...

ZOMG that is such an awesome way of naming your kids!!!! DId you know that in Germany, you can't name your kids what ever you want? you're provided with a book of names that you can choose from.

Haha no worries. Curiosity is human nature (and unfortunately, in some cases such a mine, a weakness :P) I'll do a whole post on unschooling so you can see how it works (well, how it works in my household, at least).

Glad you're writing again!
roch

Sarah said...

Haha, yes it is the Golden Eagle.


And,
FREEDOM fries? And what, is if FREEDOM kissing now, too?

Whoa. That's a little... biggoty. (So, my volcabulary isn't working so well today... w.e :P) But then again, we all know how American's are :)

[story. I was talking to a friend complaining that the jonas brothers were dumb. My friend hears part of the conversation and says "American's are dumb? I know!". I corrected him, but he said that American's were dumb, and the Jo bros just lead the way for them. We insult you guys up here :P]

But it's possible for American's not to be dumb. Like,the cool bloggity ones.


&& A book of names, Rochelle? That's crazy! :| I would never be able to do that because I like creative spellings :P

Devon said...

Well, I was clinging onto the fact that the rest of the world doesn't necessarily despise us as much as I feared but...well, saw that coming lol.

hey, I'm still proud to be an American, 110%. Just have a few issues on certain aspects...*shrug* Still a great country, IMO

Freedom Kissing...I'm going to have to use that one sooner or later. heeh

Sarah said...

Haha :P We may... but hey, we watched Obama's speech in grade 8 and some people hate Canada and want to move to the US.... but then some people hate the US :P

It's kind of split down the middle liking/hating other countries :P