Saturday, September 12, 2009

What Are These Things?

What are these things?  These wierd stops in the middle of school.... weekends?  Yes, I think it's called a weekend...

Odd.

Facts About The Newly Discovered Weekends:

  1. They provide dates for things like a soccer tournement
  2. They provide chances to sleep in (although the chance has so far gone untaken)
  3. They provide chances to stay up late (again, untaken)
  4. They let you invite friends over (taken for tomorrow! :D yay)
  5. They let you find time to write.  Note the excerpt below.
  6. They bring about boredom which I suffer from right now.

So, I'm bored.  This morning I had a soccer tournament, in which the previously last team came in first, and the second last (my team) came in second!  Whoohoo!!  I rocked at soccer today, despite the headache, sun, wet grass and hurting all over.  Ouch, but it was still fun.  Plus, I get this pretty metal.  Go me!

Tomorrow I think one of my friends is coming over... not sure what we're doing - but I know before he comes, I'll need to spend at least 4 hours cleaning my room.  During the school week I don't have time to clean it, and now the floor has gone missing.

Also, I've written an added bit of Empyrean - now 47,000 words.  This happens at the beginning, when she's in a burning building, 6 years old, and about to discover her power.  I think it's pretty good, especially for a situation I'd deemed impossible to add on to earlier.  Who knew?

Read More >>



Empyrean
Fear washed over me like waves in a stormy ocean and I tried my voice again, calling out in a raspy whisper that stuck in my throat and made me cough.  I rested my head on my arms, the fire moving closer and closer.  I closed my eyes and silently wished there was something I could do, not bothering with the somewhere else to go.  That had been for earlier, but this was too far.  I was too far gone. 
Inside, I know there wasn’t anything I could do.  I wasn’t old enough to be able to stop the fire and save myself.  Maybe, even if I was twelve, I still wouldn’t be able to save myself.  It really was all a chance of fate, fate that at the moment, wasn’t showing me much kindess.
My whole shirt should have been soaked in my tears already, but the bright orange flames were soaking up the water like a sponge.  I silently rocked back and forth, waiting for death.  The fire engulfed me, burning my arms, face and legs numb.  I couldn’t move, and as it moved in closer I started to suffocate.  Blackness crept into my vision, and almost welcoming, I closed my eyes a little tighter, waiting for the one thing that could save me.
A cool sensation ran down my burning back, and death seemed to be taking over.  But I was still conscious.  The flames died away, slowly, and a sizzeling sound filled the air.  Moisture hit my parched tongue and I raised my head, confused. 
Then the wave came.  If I’d had any breath in me at the point, it would’ve been knocked right out as a tidal wave flooded the room.  I was washed down the hallway, bumping into lights and banging into open doors.  Blue, wet water washed me down the stairs of the old hotel and the stench of burning filled the air – burning, or burnt?  The water was washing out all the flames.  The mirical right before my disaster.
“Aerynn!”  It was my brother.  I struggled to swim through the water, now thick with wreckage and black with soot.  It washed me further down the stairs and into the basement, and for a moment, I worried that my new cause of death would be water.
Strong eleven-year-old arms grabbed my shoulders as Dominic held me with one hand and hooked the other around a light fixture on the ceiling.  More water still came down, filling up the basement.  And this was only the second bottom floor.
“Make it stop!”  My brother yelled.  I tore my eyes away from the murky water and looked up at him.
“I didn’t start it!”  I said.
“Yes you did!  There isn’t any other way.”  Dominic looked scared, and I got the feeling as well as I noticed the water rise higher and higher.  But I hadn’t started this, had I?
“That’s impossible… I’m not old enough.” 
“Yes, if you can do something like this, your power could even be late.”
I was six.  But as the waves came and we struggled to hold on, the vast amount of water made me think you had to discover this power at six.  But I’d started it at near death, and I had no idea how to stop it. 
“How do I stop it?” 
“Just do it!”  I could hardly hear him over the sound of the water.  I closed my eyes tight,
Suddenly waves of water sprouted out of thin air and the flames flickered to a stop.  Cool water washed over my severe burns, but my death had been avoided.
This time.

Not bad, eh?  If your confused, comment your question and I'll answer it... it's a little confusing reading bits and pieces of a story ;)

So.. school is still well - not that much homework, but not too little to make me think I just might survive second term.  Friends, my days are numbered.

Hope you guys are having a good weekend!  First one of school!!!

S a r a h

4 comments:

Devon said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Devon said...

Gratz on the soccer season! Soccer just started about a week ago here, and we've only had one soccer game (3-1 loss, but we ran em to the ground and gave em a run for their money, so all's good), but I think I'm in a pretty good team this year.

FYI: w/ a full soccer season ahead followed almost immediately by basketball, I'm not going to be able to post much until around spring (lol), and combined with the stacks of HW I'm getting, don't be surprised if I'm a little late in commenting

Sarah said...

LOL, cool. I dont have that much homework.. but expect silence after Christmas - second semester :|. Although... art is suprisingly stacking up on me, especially since I'm a super-slow drawer (I dont dare say artist!)

We lost our final game 0-1 in the last 30 seconds, although in a shoot-out we most likely would've lost anyways.

Rochelle Blue said...

yay for coming in second! you deserved your medal!
I likeed what I just read, it is a little confusing, like is she supposed to be a witch or something? but otherwise, I understood it well =)
I hope you had a good weekend!

Rochelley