Thursday, January 8, 2009

Car Chase..

I think I have a new idea for a story... at least, some sort of writing project to keep my mind off the real thing; my teacher reading Empyrean. So far, all he's said is that it must have taken me a long time, he's going to edit, maybe professionally edit (not sure what he meant by that) and this would be my personal goal. Yeah, my school is like that. All gooey, personal you're amazing stuff. It's hard to avoid. But he's pretty nice - called education "edu-fun-tion" or something like that. I can't decide if I'm dreading or looking forward to Monday, when he says he'll probably finish it by.

But I'm really trying hard not to think about it. Every time I do, I have to try even harder to stop myself from opening that file, editing. But no editing.

That's why I need something else to write. A blog helps, but if I really was writing on this as much as I need to to keep my mind of other things, I'd have five entires a day. I need a new story. I've crossed out a sequel to Empyrean, because that's Empyrean related, and may promote editing. Big no-no.


So, I have this. Tenatively named the Car Chase.....


....Outside the car, the ‘Nashville’ sign passed by. A click of hail joined the clatter of rain that had been following us around all day. It wasn’t the best day to go shopping, and the amount of people and activity in the mall had reflected that. Either way, there was a nice amount of bags in the trunk - maybe a not so nice amount of money taken out of my bank account, but I had the money to loose after my summer job.

“…And that’s the start of the real storm.” David said, referring to the hail falling from the sky. I nodded, and my head fell back against the headrest. I closed my eyes and relaxed.

An electronic whirr came from my left, followed by a downpour of rain, sleet, and heavy rocks of hail.

“ARGHH!” I screamed. Nick was just doing up his seatbelt again as I undid mine and jumped on him, pummeling his face with my hands.

“Whoa! Watch it Emma, we almost got into a car accident!” David shouted. A truck roared by, inches from the side of our car, splattering the previously red, but now a dirty pink, already splattered car with more slush.

I didn’t say sorry, and regretfully promised to torturously kill Nick some other time when it didn’t endanger my life.

As the slush cleared off the windshield, I saw a pair of headlights unnaturally close and coming closer by the second. A car’s horn went off as the silver SUV cut off two lanes of traffic and headed in a straight line towards us.

I felt my heartbeat quicken, and wondered what on Earth the SUV was doing.

David must have noticed the deranged car and driver heading towards us as well, and he swore colourfully. I think he must’ve picked up some words in Iraq, because before he left, ‘shoot’ was as far as his vocabulary went in the ‘profanities’ direction.

“Is there anyone behind us?” In these conditions, which were getting worse by the second, David couldn’t take his eyes off the road. I waited for Nick to look behind, noticing the line of traffic ahead of us.

“Someone!” David shouted at us. Nick hadn’t moved. I checked behind me.

“No one.” I said, casting the lump of wasted space beside me a look that I hope reinforced the ‘I’m going to kill you’ scheme of things.

David’s hands flew at my words, one hand on the gears and the other controlling the steering wheel. The emergency brake was pulled, gear-stick shifted from three to reverse. Our red car rolled backwards.

“What-” I started to ask.

“Shush.” David said sharply. I closed my mouth and looked at the SUV, which was charging towards us as we drove backwards down the road. I looked over at the speedometer, just visible under David’s arm. It read 70 kilometers an hour. I didn’t know that was possible while driving backwards.

The car slid to a stop, David’s hand switching from reverse to first and up as the car regained speed. Now we were speeding towards the SUV.

David spun the steering wheel and our car moved into the oncoming lane. The silver SUV tried to turn and hit us, but only clipped the back. The car fishtailed for a minute, and then David regained control. He sped off down the road, joining back into the right lane when the SUV was far behind us. Back in our lane, David still drove fast, cutting between cars and passing on the left and right.

“A, S, S, H, O, L, E.” Nick muttered beside me, digging through the pocket and cup holder beside him.

“What are you calling my brother?” I asked, giving Nick another death glare. He reflected it back at me.

“No you idiot, that was the license plate number.” Oh, I thought. I grabbed the notepad out of my cup holder and handed it to him.

“There’s a pen in the glove compartment. David, can you slow down and get it?” I asked.

“Have to make sure they’re gone and we are far away from them.” David told me, but slowed down and got the pen anyways.

We recorded the plate and David told us that he would take it to the police station the following morning. Right now, all he wanted to do was go home.....



And that's it. Now what do I do? I've figured out some things, like how this is a story about David and some secret thing he got into with the army, but besides that, I'm blank.

At least it'll keep my mind occupied though.. and I need it.

Sarah

1 comment:

Kori Rockwell said...

Sounds good so far. You could go in many directions with this. One thing though, I don't understand why she hits him at the beginning. It's not very clear or else I'm really slow lol.

Good job, girl.

I'm going back to one of my other stories. I need something to write, like you. Oh hey, have you read "Cross My Heart and Hope to Spy" by Ally Carter? It's super good.