Sunday, January 11, 2009

For Lack Of Things To Say..

Okay, so maybe keeping a blog isn't that hard, but finding things to write in it is. I feel kind of mean to my erm.. one, maybe two, veiwers for not saying anything. I'm reminded of this, because I haven't said anything to my Wii Fit dude either, and today, when I went on, he sounded a little upset.

But I do have a valid excuse, you see. It's because of my teacher. I've given him my story, Empyrean, which is finished and great (or so, well, I'm telling myself it is so I don't edit). So, I'm waiting for him to say something, which I'm hoping will be tomorrow. I'm super nervous, and I'm going to be breaching insanity tomorrow morning.

Plus the fact I'm not at all ready for school. After a "weekend" of fourteen days, approximately, I totally forgot how short real weekends are.

But I still need something good to say here, or at least something interesting. Well, when in doubt, you're supposed to kill off a character, right? So how about I show you my "when in doubt" scene...

Empyrean: Pg. 73-75

But of course, it’s all fun and games up until someone dies. And someone died.

It started about a week ago, one of my friends met up with Erik and they became friends as well. I was surprised, because Erik didn’t make that many friends, and most people thought he was dark or mean. Also, I wasn’t too happy about it at first, because I liked having friends that weren’t shared by me and the one guy I wasn’t really ready to talk to yet. But all too soon before I could stop them they became almost best friends - maybe they were even best friends - and oh, I wished I could’ve stopped them.

Maybe if I'd stopped them they would have never become friends. Then he wouldn't have figured out about our group and our plan.

He wouldn't have joined either.

If only I stopped him.

If only I stopped them, Quint Taylor would not be lying a few meters in front of me, underwater, dead.

They said he drowned because he fought off the enchantment sub-consciously that was meant to alert the guards that someone was out of bed. But I had been out of bed before and no alarms had been alerted.

They said he drowned because he may have committed suicide after what his family did.

They say he drowned because his friends had pushed him, which separated Erik, Olyver, Aydrian, Liam, Raechel and I from the others for a while until I got it across to my friends we were not to blame. I think they believed me only because I couldn’t say that without crying.

But in reality, I knew he drowned because the Government had killed him. I knew he had been drowned, because he had found out too much.

I sat down on the pavement, sadness and desperation washing over me like a blanket. The Government had killed Quint. Out of the corner of my eye I saw Erik coming up to me, the same sad look on his face as I knew was on mine.

"He wanted to tell me something." Erik said quietly. That was the longest sentence we had said to each other in days. "He had just found out something important, yesterday he said he was on the verge of figuring out something big, but he said that he needed to know for sure, and that he would tell me tomorrow. My birthday - he said it'd be my birthday present."

"Nice birthday." I remarked sadly. It was the worst birthday anyone could get. A wave of guilt washed over me. If only I had stopped them from being friends. Quint Taylor had even asked me, you're okay with me playing basketball with Erik right? Not going to start ditching me too? He had asked a couple days ago. I wish I could turn back time, as I had since the first day I'd gotten my power. Turn back time; get out of this burning building.

But even if I had, I'd never really. All my life has ever been is a burning building. For a while, my parents had sheltered me from the fire, the dangers in the world and told me that fire would not, could not hurt me. But now they left, the fire was back and my house, now just a skeleton of what it had once been, was falling apart, slowly but surely.

Now the fire had started to knock off my friends, and I couldn't help but think more would fall soon. What we were doing, Erik, Olyver, Aydrian, Raechel, Liam and I, was being firefighters. We were diving into the blaze, trying to be heroes, but really, we had no protective fireproof suits. We were normal, ordinary civilians with nothing but a hope.

And hope, hope leads you nowhere. Where did hope lead Quint? The hope of giving Erik the best birthday present was gone - that hope had caused him to jump too far, to jump across a too big gap to save the people on the other side. Beneath him, the floor had collapsed and he'd fallen. I'm not even sure if the people on the other side, to soon to be deathies like my sister Alexa and my friends from nugatory school, had survived. Maybe our entire group’s hope had gone with Quint Geoffrey Taylor. Maybe, everyone in my building had already died, and it was just a period of time until we discovered that no one could see us, and that we were not ever going to wake up after we went to bed one night.

Maybe everything was already over.

"Yeah, it is." Erik said, "The worst birthday ever." He looked like he was about to cry, but I already was.


Yup, there it is. I can remember thinking about it, in the middle of NaNoWriMo, wondering what happens and how to get from point A to B. Well, kill someone. And wonder Quint Taylor just popped into my mind.

I just love writing dramatic death scenes. If I wasn't so attatched my characters, I'd be another tragedy Shakesphere, without the whole old words.

Sarah

P.S. For some reason, I've found a new obsession with iCarly. Sorry if it's affected my writing.. whenever I watch something or read something my writing changes, a little. It might just be my thoughts.. but if you noticed a difference, sorry. (Just think of how many books I've had to put down so I can write like me! Tis horrid).

2 comments:

Kori Rockwell said...

I loved Quint ... this scene still makes me sad.

Btw, I'm a follower of iJustine. I don't know why I like her vids so much, but goodness she's hilarious. I only wish I could be that outgoing.

I know what you mean about outside influence. I have only read one book over my entire holiday when I usually read four or five a week. I don't want others influencing my work and thinking how crappy mine is compared to theirs. :)

Rochelle Blue said...

lolz... that's right, you have two viewers now! = D I'm so happy I've found your blog. it makes me feel glad that there is another teenage writer out there in the world!
your excerpt was well written! it was very emotional and extremely absorbing... my heart actually went out to your main character! I can't wait to read your next preview of Empyrean = )
oh my gosh... your words of anxiety is flooding right through me! I hope your teacher will think it brilliant! I'll be biting my nails and keeping my fingers crossed for you... good luck!