Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Movie Script Writing

As part of our "media" class at school, we are supposed to write, film and edit a movie. Complete a movie. Sound easy, eh? Well, not really. The script writing is the hardest, mainly because I have to write in the lines.

Me writing in the lines is like an elephant on a trampoline. It can be done, but slowly, carefully, with special equipment and people to help.

I'm the scriptwriter, along with some friends, and together we're writing it. But within the lines, I can't think of anything. It'd all of my strength to keep within the lines, and not take control and just get the thing done.

Although, with other people's help, I have managed to write a pretty good script.


The Presidential Conspiracy

Exterior - Large High School - Mid-Afternoon
Bell rings, students come pouring out of school. Two students walk down the street, talking.

MALIA ANNE OBAMA
I’m so glad I ditched those secret service guys. They’re so annoying.

ELIZABETH SMITH
I know it’s kinda hard to talk to your surrounded by men in black.

Malia Anne and Elizabeth come to split in the road.

MALIA ANNE OBAMA
I’ll call you when I get home okay?

ELIZABETH SMITH
Sure, see you later!

Malia Anne nods and they walk in separate directions. After a couple seconds, Elizabeth looks back at Malia. She’s just in time to see a black van pulled up beside her friend and two men jump out. One grabs Malia and jumps back in the van. The other man get out of the other side and runs in the opposite direction. The van pulls away with a SCREECH and turns the corner. Elizabeth runs for home, horrified.


CUT TO:


Interior - Large Speech Room - Later
President Barack Obama is standing in front of thousands, saying speech for new campaign.



BARACK OBAMA
It is why I stand here tonight. Because for 236 years, at each moment when that promise was in jeopardy, ordinary men and women - students and soldiers, farmers and teachers, nurses and janitors - found the courage to keep it alive. We meet at one of those defining moments -

A tall security guard answers his phone. He hangs up and grimly walks up onto the stage and whispers to Barack Obama.

BARACK OBAMA
I’m sorry. This speech must be put on hold.

He and the guard walk off the stage, talking.

SECURITY GUARD JOSH
Sir we are not sure of all the details but at approximately 3:00 pm today, your daughter was kidnapped. She was seen leaving school, and has not yet arrived home. No witnesses have been discovered, but you’ll have to come with us, we are headed for Langley.


Not that bad, eh? At least we're getting it done. Oh, and pretend the formatting for movie scripting is all right, with the line widths and indents and stuff. It all got messed up as I copied and pasted on here, and there's not a lot of point in fixing it, for me at least.

So, that was the main thing that happened today. I found out that I could write between the lines... and gave my group a major shock when my teacher called me over with a stack of 127 pages in front of him and we talked about what he was going to do (edit). A guy came over, (one of my friends) and asked if that was my story, and I told him it was... and then he told me group. Suddenly their group member got a whole lot more interesting... and after that, writing anything was awkward.

Oh well. Monday. My teacher said to give him the weekend to read. Maybe edit, maybe just read. I'm not sure.

Sarah.

No comments: