Saturday, April 18, 2009

A Great And Terrible Beauty - BOOK REVIEW

A few days ago I started to read A Great And Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray. From all the great reviews and the really well-done synopsis, I thought this book was going to be good - really good.
But it wasn't.
The story takes place in the turn-of-the-century 18/19 hundreds. It seems to me that the book should have taken place in a different time, maybe around the middle of the 18 hundreds instead because they didn't seem to act at all what I think my great-great grandparents would - but hey, I hardly know anything about those times, so I may be wrong). But in this time, in England, the world is filled with icky pompous (and yes, they are pompous) men and humble, dainty, faint-hearted women, all of which, seem to be speaking a wierd mixture of modern-day English with some olden stuff you can find on Wikipedia.  Their thoughts, however, are totally modern.)

This book does not sound like the type of book girls would like, right? (Well, at least not me). I thought it was going to be about how Gemma, the wierdly-named main character, overcomes all this and leads the world into a better state of mind about women (and ends up killing all those disgusting men).

But that didn't happen. Instead, A Great And Terrible Beauty was exactly that, except without the great. A Terrible Beauty. Filled with vain, dimwitted girls and arrogant, deserves-to-die men. The girls can't stop talking about how pretty they look (along with the whole gossiping thing... they are Queens of gossip) and how they wish to find Prince Charming (who, most likely, they dream to be the type of guy who orders them around like slaves) and how their favourite dress has a stain in it.

Oh no! Those girls make me sick. They are a disgrace to the female race.

But who would've thought the book would be that bad? I mean, the back cover is amazingly interesting and good... the beginning starts out the same (ish) but then... then you meet Pippy and Felicity and Ann, all obsessed about their 50-year-old husbands and how beautiful they are (Insert scream here).

And as for the magic? Ooohh.. how delightful! The magic, which was supposed to seem dark and dangerous comes out as a perfect little paradise which, of course, the girls get into trouble for trying to take back.

Yes, they try to take the magic from Paradise and make their lives perfect. Perfect looks, perfect French... for a disgusting moment in the book, they are perfect. Eww. No one wants to read a book about perfect people, especially not me. And I mean, seriously, did Libba Bray (the author) actually think she could get away with a simple Adam and Eve story? Oh, don't steal from the perfect world - you'll have to stay!

Wow. Nearing the end of the book, I found myself skipping pages until I found the only character I liked (who now, was so impressive that I forget his name). Suprisingly, my favourite character was the only one she based off a real person.

I'm sorry if you love this book or I came off a little harsh, but I needed to vent my frusteration. I read this entire book, two days wasted, and now I'm left with a disgusting feeling (oh, did I mention her extremely mature dreams? (Which luckily I was able to skip with only minor scarring) but now I feel.. well... betrayed. All those kind words and good reviews and suggestions to read this book from friends.. and now I'm left with no amazingly good story of rebellation against the vile system of the somewhere-around 1800's, but a tale of 4 vain girls in their very vain lives, complaining how none of them are beautiful enough.

I feel like I've been tricked, and it's not a good feeling.

But hey, if a story of vain girls and pretty, non-dark magic makes you smile, go out and get A Great And Terrible Beauty. Maybe it'll be just what your looking for.

But it wasn't at all what I was looking for. No, now I'm going to get out a nice book with girls who aren't afraid to show their wrists and don't care about how their facial expression is when they stab their enemy (which, in A Great And Terrible Beauty, never happens because there doesnt seems to be much in the way of enemies - besides a few "friends" who gossip rude things. Oh my!) Maybe I'll read The Hunger Games - that's a nice, dark book with plenty of killing. Definately my type de livre.

All-in-all, I, Sarah, dislike this book MORE than Twilight.

And that's saying something.

4 comments:

Kori Rockwell said...

Hey girl, fantastic review. I will definitely avoid that book at all costs! I have a book for you to read. Storm Born by Richelle Mead. I'm only about halfway, but it's really awesome. You definitely need to check it out. Magic, gentry, heroine that kicks so much butt especially when guys try to get in her pants unwanted. I promise you won't be disappointed.

I'm about to start reading Evernight. Have you read that? If so, did you like it?

Devon said...

I read a book like that. called The Revenge of the Shadow King. sounded great and all my friends loved it. Than, i look at the first page: "Like a rocket, i flew out the window". can i really take a book seriously if it resorts to fourth-grade similes?? I agree with you on twilight though, i still cant see why some girls are so obsessed with "Edward" (while they can be looking at me instead JOKE JOKE JOKE JOKE. I suggest The Host. its by Stephanie Meyer, but i found it a lot better than twilight, and even dives deep into questioning what really is human.

BTW what is with the word verification being in weird letters? some people cant READ that stuff you know XD

Sarah said...

Oh, wow :D I feel so loved..

Thanks for reading the review... it's the first non-school writing thing that isn't a book I've done in... ever, maybe. But I needed to vent my frusteration.

I might read Storm Born.. but I've ran out of money lately (who knew how awesome flats are? I just bought 3 - they finally fit me) and I doubt my library would have it - they mostly have old, old people books and little kids. Not much in between, sadly.

I haven't heard of Evernight.. but I just searched for a synopsis and it sounded pretty good (but as I've learned, synopsises can be totally untrue).

You know what really bugs me? When people who don't usually read start reading, and they think everything is so much better than it really is. Twilight is like that... people are just so.. narrowminded. Edward is seriously abusive as a boyfriend, and in the movie, as ugly as a queen ant.

But nonetheless, I might give the Host a try. No one in my class seems to understand/like it, which is good consitering the whole Twilight/Terrible Beauty crisis.

And, by what I've heard, no fourth-grade similies are included :P haha. (Although I do occationally read short littler kid books like Spy Cat or Ellen Fremedon.. mainly because they're such cute stories it's a nice break from the whole killing-in-darkness side of things.

And I'm checking out the word verification. Maybe I'll take it off.. until I get spam at least - but how common is that stuff? We'll see....

Devon said...

hey, don't criticize Spy Cat! lol