Thursday, May 14, 2009

A Quick Bit Of InVincible

Invincible:

I ran for it, quick and soundless across the grass.

One shot rang out, but it missed. A few more followed as they got out a machine gun. I leapt over the cliff, feeling one, then two bullets rip through my body. Fun.

I fell freefalling into the icy water, but I hardly felt the cold. My whole body was numb in pain. It took a lot of control to contain yourself and forget about the pain you were in nonstop, and it was moments like these - me, alone in a freezing lake - that brought the pain back with alarming strength. I almost couldn’t stand it.

But I did.

“I really shouldn’t have dumped that bike.” The horror of mistake swept through me and the harsh feeling of embarrassment lit up my cheeks. I was acting weak, showing emotion and feelings, but I couldn’t help it. As soon as I’d left the Bishop, I’d begun to relax. This, was my punishment.

I started a few slow, even strokes, trying to pinpoint the pain. My right shoulder felt like it was on fire, and my left calf wasn’t really responding to my brain.

Rising to the surface for a few moments longer than I should have, I took a few deep, gasping breaths. I felt better instantly, but before I was totally ok, I knew I had to go back under. A Trainee had spotted me, and as I sank underwater, a few bullets slowly found their way down to the bottom of the lake.

The Trainees, as “good” as they were supposed to be, were still using their machine gun, which was a much higher caliber gun - bigger bullets for bigger puncture holes, like the one on my arm. Blood seeped into the water around me, tinting it a deathly pink. As I swam away, I wrapped my sleeve around the wound a little tighter. I needed to get a real fix - not just some cloth, but the whole disinfectant and medical bandage deal. But it wasn’t as urgent as the shots just stopping centimeters from my head.

They’d switched to a lower caliber, I thought, as I pulled myself down a little further. I started to wish for them to use an even lower one - one that would be able to get down to my level - but stopped myself. I was on the ‘enemy side’. All my life, I’d cheered for the hunters, the Bishop’s side, and even though I’d been against him for almost all of that time, I was still used to being the shooter, not the shot-at.

This wasn’t my style. I decided that as soon as I fixed my injuries, I’d turn the tables and get the Trainees - maybe even as far as the Bishop.

I wasn’t hiding from him anymore. I wasn’t just waiting for the world to change, or even my year to end. I wasn’t waiting for anything but myself to pick up the pace and get on the real game.

This, had only just begun.



So, I'm tired of looking at my blog and seeing my last post - which I ruined with the rant at the bottom. So, I'm posting this. Yet another excert from InVincible.

Which I love. InVincible, I mean. It's an amazing story, just great. I'm trying not to be self-obsessed here (but hey, usually I'm the complete opposite, self-esteem-issues, so gimme a break) but I really like InVincible. Sure, the writing in places needs work - and same with the story line, seeing as I'm skipping back and forth like crazy, but the idea..

Now that's terrific.


S a r a h

P.S. In case you're inquiring, currently I'm overrun with cells (I'm making a 3D model of an Osteoclast) and still editing my poetry analysis. I'll have more free time.. hmm.. in the Summer? Yup, see you then :)

1 comment:

Devon said...

nice. I haven't been on much cause of all the school work before final exams, but ill try to get a few more writings in soon.