Sunday, May 10, 2009

Nerdy: Web Browsers Reviews

Web browsers are like glasses - they help you see the internet. Recently, I've been going crazy trying to find the perfect browers for me. I've looked at zilions of web sites and reviews, and searched all through the pages on each of the different browers web sites. I think I've got one - it's called Maxthon 2.5.1.

I believe Maxthon is the best for me - maybe not you. So, in case you've decided to waste a few days downloading files and beign wierded out by different internet browsers (plus confusing your family when they don't realize it's the internet they see out of this wierd box) feel free to read below - I've listed all the browsers I've tried and given you my thoughts. Maybe then you'll find your perfect match... gosh, I'm a nerd!

Anyways, below are all the different types I've tried, and the last one (Maxthon) is the one I like the best.

Internet Explorer - I like internet explorer because it's easy to use and almost everywhere - not switching to some alien thing when you go to the library, almost every computer has the same or an older version of this program. Also, the buttons are clear and big, and pretty easy to navigate (although some a few shortcuts wouldn't hurt). The bad things about this is that it isn't at all customizable. Sure, it's easy to use, but that's all. No pretty looks, just simple, plain, usability. I think IE has fallen behind on the customizable train. Also, Internet Explorer is a little unreliable. Sometimes, especially with dial-up, if you try to load a webpage for too long the program seems to just give up. After it does that you're whole internet connection is pretty much toast and you have to restart your computer for it to maybe work again. Because IE is so set-in-stone, there is really no way to fix it problems like that.

Firefox - This one is good because it's very customizable and made for quick computers. On my computer, which is weighed down by half a billion word documents and computer games, it was kind of slow - but the customation was pretty good. There plenty of beautiful "skins" to wear, and their light design made them perfect to change daily. The top bar, because of those skins, was a little big (so the pictures could be seen) but not so much bigger than IE. According to faster computers, Firefox loads pages amazingly fast and is really great - I think it's pretty great too, but just not for my computer.

Opera - Opera, according to my dad, works really well on company laptops. Also, it has nice coloured tabs at the top. But as for customizability.. it's ok, but not perfect. Definately a step-up from IE. Also, Opera loads at a good speed and has a nice design - if I had to place it somewhere, it'd be right between Firefox and IE - it's kinda a nice mix of both.

Safari - Safari, for Mac computers, is nice and just like all of Apple programs. Clean, sensible and professional. Safari on Windows is the same - but compared to Windows, Safari looks like some alien invador. It makes Windows seem like some old cluttered thing - no smooth Apple corners or simple bottons. But all the same, Safari is a pretty good program - just don't scream when you realize an alien has taken over your computer.

Google Chrome - I'm really going to try not to be rude, but Google Chrome is an aquired taste. It's nearing the Safari-Alien look, but has no other brand of computer it looks sane on. Small, short sidebars leave you a gigantic viewing space which you look at, then feel stranded. It's almost like pressing the F11 key, except there's this slim blue bar around the edges. Sure, it has the amazing Google name written all over it, but for Google, this program is a real insult to the company. I'm looking forward to more upgrades in the future, so maybe, maybe, one day I'll be able to use Google Chrome.. but right now it's just not for me - plus the buttons were a little small... I don't want to have to hunt for them, they should be right there for me to use. (Although it's a good first try for Google). Actually, I was kind of suprised as the lack of Google-ness. Maybe they're trying to branck into a new style, but the blue? I've never seen that blue, and will never associate it with Google. I suggest they go for a more Google-y feel, so even if the style is a little offsetting, the Google-ness of the program will keep the users. It didn't keep me, and I uninstalled it faster than I installed it.

Maxthon - When you first get Maxthon, it comes up as this gray browser with each button a different colour. It looks pretty good - easy to read buttons, a modest gray colour that doesn't draw attention to itself and allows you too look at the web pages without clutter, and three nice-sized borders - a top bar, just smaller than IE (with an extenable bar to make it almost IE size) a thin sidebar with a few links (like facebook, feeds and favourites - very useful) and a small even skinnier bar at the bottom to show the loading status, zoom and a few other small gagets. Also, to the left of that, they have where the link will take you (normal) and if that's not in use, they display a series of hints and corny jokes (a great personal touch). Also, for customizing this browser, they have a website with kinds (try iBlack, that's the one I use - it's a nice black that's lighter and darker in some areas with buttons/tabs/tools the turn blue when you're using them). I like Maxthon because it's speedy on my computer, and light on the eyes.. (eyes and visibility.. I feel like some old lady!)


Always, those are my thoughts about the most popular browers. Feel free to say your own opinion and which browser you use - suddenly I'm obsessed with them!

I'll have an excerpt later.. although, if you want to read some French just tell me.. it's been my main writing language for the past while.

S a r a h

P.S. Officially 8 countries have viewed my blog! This is so amazing.. welcome Italy! Joe would be proud...

5 comments:

Underdose said...

Nice 'end-user' reviews that really makes sense..

And, of course, Maxthon rulz! (:

Devon said...

hmm..Firefox is just fine for me. Haven't tried maxthon though

Sarah said...

Yeah.. Firefox is probably the second best - it's pretty cool but computer's sloowww and doesnt like it, lol.

.. I had some nerdy urge to write this - gosh I'm wierd :S

Nat said...

yes you are strange sometimes. i think that Maxthon is definitly the one for you.

Sarah said...

Oh yeah, very strange, lol. thx