Saturday, May 30, 2009

Pre-Birthday Post

In 45 hours after I post this (posted at 8:00 Saturday May 30th) I will be...

F o u r t e e n !
14
Isn't that awesome? I was born as 5:35am on June 1st 1995. A lot of people are born on June first, which I pretty cool too. But when I'm fourteen... the world will not seem any different. At all. But still, I'll be old enough to have a teensie more bit of respect and get into 14A movies (which I already do, but this time I'll do it shivering free - I shiver when I'm nervous).
Also, in about 9 hours I'm having my birthday party. Sorry I didn't invite you guys, but sometime tells me it'd be thousands and thousands of miles to travel for one 4-hour party.
Also, as a birthday gift to you... (even though I'm the one celebrating, not you) here's the last chapter of Empyrean. You might not get it, because I haven't really talked about Empyrean for a while, but if you go to the labels/catogories and click on Empyrean, you'll find some other bits and pieces about it.
P.S. The "saving the world" thing she's talking about - she actually did save the world by stopping this missile full of poison set to kill a sort of "race" (everyone has one magic power, but some people are less powerful - the poison was to kill off any unpowerful people, including her sister). She's really powerful though, so it didn't kill her.
Empyrean, Epilouge: It's The End Of The End, For Forever And Ever And Never Again
After a week in recovery from the poison that had seeped into my skin, I was able to leave the hospital. They had kept me there extra long, but I didn’t mind one bit. Even when I was in there, torrents of news agencies and reporters had snuck their way through the building security and found me, questioning me relentlessly, even one their way out the door. I had heard it was even worse for Erik and Alexa, because they were out in the public. I was glad they’d decided to keep me in longer to ensure the poison was entirely gone and I couldn’t infect anyone else with it.

The world had reacted strangely to what I had done. Our great country, Empyrean, was quickly split in two. At one side, the people who had been on Emerson Palenstine’s side all along were angry, shooting people on the streets from building up high and blowing up the rest. The other side had retreated into the side of Empyrean I was on now - the side with the peace-keeper countries’ forces ensuring all-around safety and wellbeing, and the side the was constantly being attacked by the other side’s planes and missiles. Empyrean was no longer safe.

People were dying.

It hurt so much to know that what I had done was killing people. Erik, who had visited earlier this morning, said that more people would have died had I not saved them.

I guess I believe him, but it still hurt.

One thing that made it better was that all around my bed, there were gifts of gratitude. I already had plowed through much of the chocolates and felt at least ten pounds heavier, but the cards from people who had known the truth all along meant the most.

Of course, Erik’s card was the most important. It was right beside me, and had been since last week.

“You’re free to go, Miss. Bradburn.” The nice doctor told me. I smiled, and stretched my right arm and legs.

My left arm would never recover. Too much of the poison had seeped into my bone, and even though I was powerful enough to stop it from killing me, I wasn’t powerful enough to stop it from killing my arm in such a large quantity. I was going to have to learn to do everything with my right hand - but that wasn’t the end of the world - literally. I was learning very, very slowly.

“Hey Aerynn!” It was Alexa, back to see me for the second time today - the fourteenth time over all. When she had first come, our reunion had been caught by a reporter, and was now broadcast all over the world.

Olyver, Raechel and everyone working for the Government were in a temporary makeshift jail; most of the big hotel chains of Empyrean had donated their rooms for the people waiting time with the judge. Josh had been one of the first people to get out, and I was glad he hadn’t been charged. I wasn’t so sure that Olyver and Raechel would fair the same good fortune.

As for Emerson Palenstine the Second, he had disappeared, following Erik and Liam out of the building. While Erik and Liam searched for me, a resident in a local town claimed that he had been seen riding off into the ocean on a small motorboat. Searches were out there, but something told me that Emerson Palenstine would never be found.

When I stepped out of the building, I was greeted by the roar of the biggest crowd I had ever seen. The army colours of Kanada, Wat and other countries were mixed in with the normal colours of normal Empyrean citizens. But the best colour was the black of Erik, who was standing on my right. He took my hand and led me through the crowd.

“You really do need to get a security guard, for now at least.” Erik said.

I laughed, “I do.”

I looked around, and I saw everything. Destruction, desolation, death; all the things I had caused. But I also saw love, kindness, thankfulness, and people helping each other get through one of the toughest times in Empyrean history. This was, no matter how you looked at it, all for the better.

We loaded into the limo that would take us to the home Erik and Alexa had been staying in. I couldn’t take my eyes of the country that I had saved, or destroyed.

This wasn’t over, but it wasn’t ever going to be as bad as it once was. This was the New Empyrean, the beginning of the never-ending.

I'm about to say Happy Birthday here, but er... Happy June and start of the last month of the school year!

4 comments:

Devon said...

hehe, Happy B-Day! I haven't read any of this story yet, but the epilogue is great.

Enjoy being a year older then me! lol

Sarah said...

Thanks.. only 31 more hours left! My birthdays on a Monday... not-so-great, eh?

And haha :P I feel soo mature.. me and my lego necklace-holder. Oh yeah.

Kori Rockwell said...

Happy Birthday! Haha, this is awesome. I love grow up as well. You are one year younger than my nephew, which is pretty cool. He just got his driving permit and is super stoked. I'm not sure how that happens in Canada, but that's how it is in Texas.

Thanks for the present, I loved Empyrean.

So now here is a present for you!
I'm posting another excerpt from The Great Funnel. Hope you like it.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
Let us know how the party went.

Sarah said...

Thanks!!! In Canada we can only get our (first G1 or something) license when we're 16 - which will be my sister this summer.

I read the excerpt - it's amazing! Kinda like Percy Jackson with Charon and Hell... pretty cool :P

The party was fine too... $300 cash + clothes and stuff = one HAPPY girl, lol. Plus all my friends rock.