Saturday, October 3, 2009

New Story!

Going along with the "NEW!" idea...

I have a New Story!

Not exactly sure about all the details right now, just that it'll be written for NaNoWriMo this November.  If you haven't checked out NaNo already, do so now!  I did it last year, and that's the reaosn I started blogging, how I met Kori, and got my very first novel out.  

The main idea of NaNoWriMo is to write a 50,000 word novel in a month - November.  There's lots of ways to do this, and lots of cheats too ;) (like loooonnnnggggg chapter titles, would not 's instead of wouldn't's, etc... although I, of course.. didn't use any.. *coughnocough*).  So, it's pretty hard, but the satisfaction of winning is just too good to be true.

Anyways, the New Story! 

Here is my 10-minute summary:


It's 3013, the world has reached overpopulation and near destruction.  Now, it's controlled by one single Government - a highly efficient system in which every living being's voice is heard.

But what if you aren't living?  Over time, the ways of the ghosts has been forgotten, and now the passage to a new life has been forgotten entirely.  For the first time, ghosts have shown themselves to not only a few humans, but the entire population and government.  Now allowed to live like citizens in small highly-guarded villages, the government says they will be safe from the companies who want to control and experiment on them. 

But things are no longer so safe, and in Echo G’Allen’s town of 50 ghosts, there are daily attacks by annoyed humans who think the ghosts should go back into hiding – or leave forever.  Unable to explain why they can’t leave, the government is becoming more and more distrusting to the ghosts.  After her family is killed, Echo realizes she can’t stay any more.  Leaving her town, she sets off to the infamous No-Zone, a radioactive, nuclear-testing site that’s found its way into all of the ghost’s legends and fairytales.


It's not finished, and definitely not final, but that's what I have right now.  The main character's name is Echo G'Allen (the G was added because she's a ghost family) and she goes out of her village and meets Nike (n-EYE-k) who doesnt really like ghosts, but joins her anyways.  After getting to the place, there is a village (after a while of dissapointed looking) but Nike dies in the process.  He becomes a ghost, which he isn't happy about, especially because he's supposed to have special powers - the reason why he was on the run and met Echo in the first place).  He does, only after he gets kidnapped... he can make things just materialize out of thin air, which is amazing.  Echo can sometimes control electric currents, but after experimenting can cause lightning and extraordinary things - with extreme pain and such as the verdict.

Here's some of my two-second plotline notes:


·         Ghost girl in a ghost world
·         Ghosts used to hide, or use special ways to get back
o   Now with pop. They are running out of ghost space
o   Ghost towns are guarded and imprisoned
o   If they leave, there are agencies going to experiment
o   Some ghosts have special abilities, some more
§  Mother – healer
§  Father – animals, vegetarian family
§  Brother – nothing
§  Most powerful in village – only rumoured, but an old druggie geezer can occasionally cause some sparks to fly
·         Wants to get to Nowhere, a past nuclear testing site, where all the ghost fairytales and stuff takes place
o   She can occasionally stop an eclectic current, so she can get out – had to keep that power HIDDEN from everyone or else they would do something bad – a friend of hers said it out loud and was taken away
o   Meet dude along the way, become friends
"Now, you can do one of two things. You can run, or you can hide."
"I really don't see why I can't just punch you in the face."
§  He dies in the end, but becomes a ghost
·         They were trying to keep him alive because he’s supposed to have special ghost powers
o   Because of that people trying to kill him
o   Equals out = ghostgirl is wanted to be captured/tested on too, so they stick together
o   Get to site, see one hazy form – part 1 end
·         There’s a whole community of people – maybe 200, compared to the 50 of her last village
o   It can take up to a month for the ghost to rise out of the dude
§  Girl must wait, become part of village life
·         Hears people talk about other groups, more secret ghost villages rising
·         Ghosts shouldn’t have to hide, this isn’t right
·         Revolutions are in the planning – raids are organized to go out and get ghosts out of the prison towns
o   Girls wants to join, trains like most people her age
o   Goes on raid back to homeland, guy wakes up
§  Freaks and goes looking for her
§  When she comes back he’s gone, must go looking for him
§  magical disturbences lead to him getting captured,
"Don't you ever shut up? No wonder your friends aren't coming to rescue you."
§  she gets herself captured
§  meets him, crazy things going off, kiss and there’s a heart-shaped bed, which turns into a rampant cow with heart spots
·         can make things appear if tries really hard
·         gets gun and gets out!
§  Can’t go back home, big settlement found out, whole area unsafe  see after coming over last hill
I was only two dozen feet from sanctuary, and standing in my way was the man sent to kill me.
"Okay, maybe I can technically survive its loss, but I still happen to be rather fond of my head; specifically, how it's attached to my neck."
§  Turn around, where now?
·         Meet a dying ghost - usually never done, he says hints only on how to die themselves, find it (way) for the rest of the ghosts


  That's my really, really, really quick idea-mode session.  Girl is Echo, boy is Nike,and the quotes are quotes I found on the Adopt-A-Line which I would love to use.  It also didn't copy&paste all too well, so bare with the bad formatting.  I had layered bullets in the real thing, lol, because I'm a weirdo organized nerd.  

That being mainly what I have at the moment, can you guys think of any plot-fixes and such to suggest?  I'm open to suggestion ALL the time with writing, and I have a pretty thick skin so dunt worry :)  


(Weirdly enough, I like it when I get essays back with red pen ALL over)

Sarah

P.S. will update with photos I find later, probably tomorrow or Monday.

4 comments:

alyssa said...

I adore your blog! Plus, great plot/outline...i suck at outlining anything. SO many teachers have tried and failed. Oh well. Feel free to check out my blog! www.creativemess1995.blogspot.com

WHERE did you get your background...I may have to steal it! AH! It's the cutest one I've ever seen!

aly

Sarah said...

Haha, thanks. I got the background at Shabbyblogs.com (http://www.shabbyblogs.com/backgrounds.html and it's the 3rd last one) and actually, I'm about the change it :P. Feel free to use it, of course. (Also I got the "About" etc. pics from there in extras).

As for the writing, I usually get really bad ideas all the time, and then when I need one, I usually somehow find a good one. In that way, I'm lucky. I fail at the finishing and title-finding though, lol.

Will check out your blog!
Sarah

Devon said...

I like the new background...really suits the blog. I may have to check out that writing thing (and you known the chances of me finding time to do that are about zilch. Great story idea btw, sounds like some depressing thing I would write. I like it though...very unique and could be very, very thought provoking if you put some emotion into it...just be on the watch to keep it from being too complicated... though I doubt that will be a problem ;)

Still trying to find the time (and inspiration) to write The Origami Killer...*sigh*

Sarah said...

I know! Sorry it's a little in the works right now.. lol. I was going to wait - should be doing homework right now - but I just had to... its "Caliginous" dontcha think?

I'm hoping the story isn't too depressing... only in parts - the ending is very sad though :D.

And last NaNoWriMo (first year I did it) I only got to 50,003 by about 5,000 words in cheating :$. Baaddd. But surprisingly, I got 45,000 with no cheats! About 2,000 words a day, I guess... that's not TOO much.

Plus, for the busyness, I'm planning on getting everything (like, all the term-long projects too) done this month. So I dont have as much work (and can concentrate on Echo and Nike)

Good luck with The Origami Killer! *Sends a bucket of inspiration*