Saturday, March 6, 2010

To Kill A Mockingbird

As far as school books go, To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee is not that bad.  Sure, it's about racism, laws and rape, but it's interesting too.  The main character, Scout, is 9 when the story begins and about 12 when it ends, but that doesn't stop the story from being interesting to older people too.  I don't really know why Scout HAD to be 9 in Harper Lee's mind, but she acts a lot older anyways, so I can't really complain.

It's about the Finch's family and how their life goes on.  There's a guy in their next-door-neighbours house who has never been outside for 15 years (Arthur "Boo" Radley takes up the Part One section of the book) and a trail for a nice black man accused of rape in the second part.  Although those are two different things and it makes the book sorta split down the middle, they do tie together at the end and give a few meaningful lessons.

All school books have lessons.  This one tells you about Mockingbirds -
things that don't cause any harm and only sing beautiful songs or do helpful things - and how you should not judge a person before you completely understand them and see things from their point of view.  The good thing, is that those lesson's aren't overwhelming.


The beginning moves slowly, but I was pretty interested in it.  There's no magic, romance or the cool sort of FBI violence, and the biggest violence scene the book has was confusing and disorientating.  It could have been more suspenseful and climatic, but this book is about 40 years old, and back then people were more content with slower, less eventful(?) books.  I think.  Look at Lord Of The Rings, right?

Overall, I didn't mind reading it for school.  A lot of people love it, and most people are okay with it... I'm okay with it.       <---------My thoughts   :)

Oh, and all of my paragraphs are about the same length.  Creepy.

English is, sort of obviously, going well.  I have a expository paragraph, To Kill A Mockingbird play and French presentation on object from my childhood all due on Thursday, and I'm seeing my boyfriend play hockey (I hate hockey, have never seen him play before either) today.  I'm trying to study up on my French verbs, because I know I'll need them - devoir is to have to, pouvoir is to be able to, vouloir is to want to....... detester is to hate.

I've been writing bits of InVincible for fun during our tri-weekly writing sessions in English, but besides that my creative output had all by died :(

I hope I can get my bangs cut soon, because they're getting long and bothersome.


Oh, and if you didn't see my room pictures from my last post (it went weird and I forgot a title) it's here. :)

Until next time!
S a r a h

P.S. POST 99!!! :)

2 comments:

Devon said...

I read to Kill a Mockingbird a while back, found ti pretty good. can't remember it well though, should probably read it again.

Hockey is cool, though I don't pay attention to the sport much (more of a basket ball person myself)and all I really know is that Canada beat the U.S in the Olympics. Still upset that we got beat by a bunch of half-frenchmen (or frenchwomen) hockey players...not really, but I still have a bias towards anything French for no apparent reason *shrug*

Hey, you need someone to point figures at, right?? :P

Another day of Saturday school (blegh) but my friends and I messed around uptown for a few hours afterwords so it wasn't that bad. Still, all these snow days are making me sick of anything even remotely relating to snow

Sarah said...

Well, hockey is "Canada's sport" so it was obvious we were going to win :)

Saturday school sounds terrible :| I would DIE.

Everything here is wet, because the snow melted but the ground is still frozen. It was +10 degrees celcius! (It gets up to +35 on the hottest day of summer.. so this was amazing!) but there's still snow everywhere :( At least for a while it was the fresh, WHITE, new stuff.

Not this grey/brown mush.

Meh. WINTER.