Monday, March 29, 2010

School Poetry!

In English we've moved past our "To Kill A Mockingbird" unit and into poetry and short stories.  We also have another ongoing project to read a science fiction novel and write (NOT present, which I hate so GO ME!) some report on it.  I'm reading "Black Monday", a book which is not about racism like most people think, but all the oil in the world becoming unusable.  It starts off with these amazing lines: "A plague that will cause the death of millions. A plague that will destroy countries. A plague that will plunge the world into a dark age. A plague that will make nobody sick..."

Sound cool or what?  I have to say I'm excited.

But for the POETRY, however, I am not.
We have to write two poems, each 10 or more lines, free-verse with matching/rhythmical syllables with two literary devices and two sound devices.  One, about about Spring.  The other?  About love.

Okay, sorry peeps (HAHA my peeps story! -- below), but LOVE is not my best topic to write about.  Despite it being personal, it's also not at all easy and quite embarrassing.  Submitting a love poem to my teacher is NOT on my list of "Great Things To Do".

But it's English, and I have to attempt it.

So, here is my attempt.  Seeing as I'm scraping by with a 90% our of 100 (so, maybe not scraping =P), I really do want some help and HARSH criticism.

Foundry Park  --- don't stalk!
The sun rises out of the haze
Two swings clangle in the distance
Tall trees tower above us
Manicured grass lies beneath
Soft wind brushes past like a cat
Which hunts for sadness not found here
No room for bugs or allergies
Me and him sit in the silence
Serene, I may reach out for him
Brown hair and eyes of chocolate
See a smile on soft lips
Smile, for the day began perfect

Don't make fun.

S a r a h

P.S. MY PEEPS STORY: So, I went to Washington DC the summer before last summer ('08) and we were staying at a hotel.  We'd just dropped off our luggage and were waiting for the elevator to go downstairs and then we were going to find some food (SO, there is NO FOOD in DC!  Like, restaurants, fast-food... even grocery stores!) but anyways, we were waiting for the elevator and when it opened there were like, 4 teenagers (16ish?) and the teen guy (who was NOT ugly, to say the least!) was like "yo peeps!" when the doors opened (he looked embarrassed when he saw my dad) with the whole hand/body gesture.  I don't know why that sticks in my head.  He was pretty cute.  He was like totally embarrassed.  He said "peeps".

Hehe :)

4 comments:

Rochelle Blue said...

Sarah I love the background! it's so nice!

Sarah said...

Thanks Rochelle! I like it too :)

Devon said...

Wow, just stumbled into a bunch of girl gibberish. Then again, seeing as I'm living in the house with a 12 year old sister, I don't know why I'm not used to it now.

Poetry is the only thing I can really get into my head and wright it right at that moment...maybe I should post a bit of the poems I got stuffed in a desk somewhere *shrug* Yours looks really good, the only thing that through me off was the "manicured grass", but seeing as I run into those two words in the same sentence...hardly ever, that's not much of a big deal.

Speaking of America, we can't say "god" anymore in our pledge of allegiance in the morning, so I've taken to, instead of saying "one nation under god" I've reverted to "one nation, under canada and above mexico". Would probably be funnier if you had to say it day in and day out...gets kind of redundant.

And so ends a long reply. Don't think that I'm too interested in your blog, I'm just bored :P

J/K...well, kinda. I AM bored

Sarah said...

Whoa.

Girl TALK is amazing. Not gibberish. And where was it? My Peeps story?

Poetry is like a dirty shirt. It's either stuck in a corner of your room, annoying you, or giving you a false hope of something good to wear, then you realize it's not good at all. :) go similes!

Hahahaha... that is REALLY funny. That made my day.

They want to change the line in our national anthem to "thou dost in us command" from "in all our sons command". It doesn't even make sense... I don't agree, and I'm pretty feministy.